Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Friday Night Knitting Club


The Friday Night Knitting Club was originally a book that I was drawn to because it appealed to my sense of community over a shared creative interest. It is basically a book about an extremely diverse group of women - all different ages, backgrounds, personalities, shapes and sizes - that happen to meet, in a variety of interesting ways, in a little yarn shop in New York, located on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Much to their own surprise, this group forms a very deep bond of friendship as each one of their stories begin to unfold. What's not to like about that?

Honestly, I thought for sure, at the outset, that I was going to thoroughly enjoy this read - and although the first few chapters were very promising, I found myself painfully slogging through the rest.

However, determined to finish it, I read right to the end - and even decided to give the sequel 'Knit Two' a chance at perhaps changing my attitude... sigh.

I know that different books will appeal to us at different times - and this one just did not appeal to me at this time. It smacked of all the ingredients that is the all too common mainstream of... 'let's make this book into a woman's movie and make a box office killing'. And sure enough, apparently Julie Robert's is slated to play the role of the main character in the upcoming 2010 movie of The Friday Night Knitting Club.

One good thing came of this read though - tucked in the back was a wonderfully easy, but really lovely, pattern for a knitted lap blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment